if you don't find the information you need, please contact us at sjensen@umn.edu

How can I find out who my advisor is?
Your advisor is listed in the upper left corner of your APAS report.

Do I have to take courses in a single Area of Emphasis?
ApEc Majors
The electives in your major, or the professional application cluster, must be at least 12 credits, of 3xxx, 4xxx, or 5xxx level APEC courses. Or, the student may design an individualized area of emphasis in collaboration with a faculty advisor.

AFBM Majors
An area of emphasis establishes a general focus to the electives you select in your major. 12 credits must be completed using courses selected from a list of alternatives in each area. Alternative areas of emphasis include Business Management; Financial Management; Marketing, Sales and Food Industry Management; and an Individualized Area of Emphasis. Courses in the area of emphasis may count toward the required elective credits in Applied Economics and Economics (6-8 credits) or Carlson School of Management electives (6-8 credits).

Are there courses which may substitute for required courses?
Substitutes for some foundation courses are indicated on the APAS. The equivalence of transferred courses is evaluated on a case-by-case basis by petition.

What is required for pre-AFBM majors to be admitted to the major?
For admission to the Agricultural and Food Business Management major, pre-AFBM students must complete a minimum of 60 credits and a set of five tool courses. The overall GPA must be at least 2.80 and a minimum grade of C- is required in all of the tool courses – the tool course GPA must be at least 2.50.

As a pre-AFBM major, when and how do I apply for admission to the major?
After you have completed the tool courses and a minimum or 60 credits, you may apply to the major. An application form may be downloaded from this website and instructions for applying are on the form.

What does it mean to be admitted to the AFBM major from the pre-AFBM program?
Once admitted to the AFBM major from the pre-AFBM program, students may register for certain Carlson School of Management courses before the open enrollment period begins.

When can I take courses in the Carlson School of Management?
Information about enrolling in Carlson School of Management courses may be found online at onestop.umn.edu.

What are the grade policies for ApEc/AFBM majors?
All professional courses, including the coursework in the area of emphasis, must be passed with a grade of C- or higher. The overall grade point average must be at least 2.000. Only general electives may be taken on an S/N grade basis; foundation courses, and professional courses in the core and the area of emphasis must be taken on an A/F grade base. The exception is internship credits which are graded S/N.

AFBM Majors
For admission to the AFBM major from pre-AFBM, an overall minimum GPA of 2.80 is required as well as a C- or better in each of the tool courses, and an average GPA of at least 2.50 in the tool courses.

How do I find out if there is a hold on my record?
Any holds on your records will be indicated in the upper left corner of your APAS report and under Acadmics > Holds on MyU.

What do I do if I am on academic probation?
If you are on academic probation, make an appointment with your advisor well in advance of your registration date. Go to the CFANS Student Services Office and ask for a Scholastic Hold Release form. Discuss your academic circumstances with your advisor and work together on a course plan for the coming semester. Complete the hold release form, have your advisor sign the form, and return it to the Student Services Office The hold should be cleared within 24 hours. If you turn in your form by noon, your hold will be cleared by 8 a.m. the following morning. If the form is turned in by 4 p.m., the hold will be cleared by noon the next day.

Can I do independent study?
Independent study classes are arranged between a faculty member and students. Proposed independent study courses in Applied Economics must be approved by the Undergraduate Program Committee. Use of independent study classes toward major requirements is subject to approval. Learn more by reading the independent study document.

How do I find an internship?
The Career and Internship Services in St. Paul lists available internships on their website. This is the most common source of internships for students. Sometimes students learn of internship opportunities directly from employers. Internship credits may be earned – for details, see Internships and Learning Abroad.

Does internship credit count toward my major?
Students who receive academic credit in Applied Economics for work related to an internship (ApEc 4096) may apply up to three of these credits toward the professional course elective requirement in Applied Economics. For details, see Internships and Learning Abroad.

How do I apply to graduate?
Once you have registered for the remaining courses you are required to take, your APAS should show all of the requirements as complete (OK) or in progress (IP). If it does not and you believe there is an error, please see your advisor to get the problem resolved. Learn more about graduation procedures at onestop.umn.edu.