Agricultural and Applied Economics Seminars
This seminar series takes place on Wednesdays from Noon - 1:30 pm in 119 Ruttan Hall unless otherwise noted.
Fall Semester 2016
- September 7, Nathan Hendricks, Associate Professor, Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University -- "Agricultural Subsidy Incidence: Evidence from Commodity Favoritism" Paper available Seminar Flyer
- September 14, No Seminar
- September 21, Timothy Richards, Marvin & June Morrison Chair of Agribusiness & Resource Management, W.P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University -- "Strategic Obfuscation and Retail Pricing" Paper Available Seminar Flyer
- September 28, Marc Bellemare, Associate Professor, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota -- "Contract Farming as Partial Insurance" (with Yu Na Lee and Lindsey Novak) Seminar Flyer
- October 5, Yu Na Lee, PhD candidate, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota
- October 12, Jeta Rudi, PhD candidate, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota (Note room change: 230 Ruttan Hall)
- October 19, Hannes Schwandt, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Zurich, Switzerland
- October 26, No Seminar
- November 2, Cael Warren, PhD student and Rob King, Professor, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota
- November 9, Eric Chyn, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rhode Island Innovative Policy Lab, Brown University
- November 16, Gabriel Lade, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Iowa State University
- November 23, Thanksgiving Week (No Seminar)
- November 30, Andrew Stevens
- December 7, Joel Cuffey, PhD candidate, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota
- December 14, Kota Minegishi, Assistant Professor, Dairy Production Decision Analytics, Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota
Spring Semester 2016
- February 17, Jayson Lusk, Regents Professor & Willard Sparks Endowed Chair, Oklahoma State University — "The Food Demand Survey (FooDS)"
- February 24, No seminar
- March 2, David A. Haynes, Research Associate, Minnesota Population Center — "Terra Populus: Integrated Data on Population and Environment"
- March 9, Carlo Azzarri, Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) — "Impact Evaluation of Agricultural Technology Interventions: An Example from Malawi"
- March 16, Spring Break (no seminar)
- March 30, Stephen Vosti, Associate Adjunct Professor, Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Davis — "A Model for Assessing the Comparative Advantage of Biofortified Crops in Addressing Vitamin A Deficiencies in Cameroon: A Detailed Look at Agriculture-Nutrition Links"
- April 6, David Ubilava, Assistant Professor, Economics, University of Sydney — "The El Niño Southern Oscillation and Economic Growth in the Developing World"
- April 27, Marc Bellemare, Associate Professor, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota (postponed until fall semester)
Fall Semester 2015
- September 2, David Just, Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University — Seminar Series Special Inaugural Seminar
- October 14, Terry Hurley, Applied Economics, University of Minnesota — "Slutsky Meets Arrow-Pratt: Competitive Price Effects with Uncertain Production"
- October 28, Per Pinstrup-Andersen, Cornell Professor Emeritus and World Food Prize Laureate — "How Do Governments Respond to Food Price Volatility: A Political Economy Analysis"
- November 4, Paul D. Mitchell, Agricultural & Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison — "Conceptual Framework and Empirical Results for a Practical Agricultural Sustainability Program in the United States"
- November 18, Damien Lepoutre, Land O' Lakes Vice President and President of the Geosys Group — "Hype for Agricultural Technologies! Separating the Wheat from the Chaff to Find Game Changers and Move Markets" (Room change: 143 Ruttan Hall)
- December 9, Metin Çakir, Assistant Professor, Applied Economics, University of Minnesota — "Does 'Shrinkflation' Contribute to Food Price Inflation?